Data center infrastructure has become much more complex, both in terms of the types of technologies deployed and the number of vendors who provide both standardized and custom solutions.
In this increasingly diverse environment, there is an urgent need for centralized management tools that provide a unified view of all aspects of data center infrastructure.
A typical data center has separate systems management applications for servers, racks, network, power, cooling, and facilities. All of this critical data goes to different consoles and is often managed by different support teams. The result is a lack of coordination of the data center’s assets as a whole.
Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) solves this challenge by collecting data from different components and presenting a single view of the infrastructure that integrates management of all data center assets and systems.
DCIM provides a common, real-time monitoring and management platform for all interdependent systems across IT and facility infrastructures.
The benefits are:
– Higher availability of critical IT systems by proactively identifying potential points of failure and resolving problems before service is impacted.
– Lower energy costs by accurately measuring energy usage of individual components and then configuring racks so that safe operation at higher densities is possible
– Optimal server placement with regard to power, cooling, and space requirements; resulting in lower energy and facility costs.
– Intelligent capacity planning by automatically commissioning new equipment, eliminating manual processes that are very costly and time consuming.
– Maximize performance and efficiency of IT and facility infrastructures by monitoring key performance indicators and making adjustments in real-time.
DCIM brings together best-of-breed hardware, software, and processes to dramatically improve asset management, energy management, and service management – all in one toolset.